The Committee on Ethics is a standing committee of the Association, which is responsible for the design and implementation of the Association's ethics education and advisory program. The objectives of the ethics education program are:
- To increase the number of candidates for all degrees in anthropology receiving training in ethics before graduating;
- To provide ongoing education in ethical issues for all AAA members;
- To provide advice to AAA members facing/raising ethical dilemmas; and
- To provide guidance to the Executive Board about AAA codes and guidelines.
Duration of Committee
Committee Reports to
The Executive Board
- To work with the Executive Board Long-Range Planning Committee and others, formulate visions and goals for the AAA ethics education and advisory program, consistent with the association's long-range goals
- To continually assess members' ethics education needs and interests
- To provide advice to AAA members who are facing/raising ethical dilemmas
- To assess progress toward attaining ethics education program vision and goals
- To develop policy recommendations for the ethics education program
- Work with the Ethics contributing editor of Anthropology News to develop ideas for the Ethics column and materials for the AAA Ethics Page on the website
- To sponsor an ethics-related session at the AAA Annual Meeting
- To provide guidance to the Executive Board about AAA codes and guidelines
Membership and Appointment
- 9 member committee including the Chair
- 7 Committee members are elected at-large with designated seats for:
- Practicing/Applied anthropology
- Linguistic anthropology
- Biological anthropology
- 3 undesignated seats
- 2 members are appointed by the AAA President
- The Committee members select a Chair from among its members.
- President and President-elect/Vice President serve ex-officio
Term of Office
Recommendations and written reports to the Executive Board
Meetings and Schedule
The COE meets annually at the AAA annual meeting and by email and conference calls if needed.
2300 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, 703/528-1902 ext. 1184, fax 703/528-3546.