The Committee on Ethics is a standing committee of the Association, which is responsible for the design and implementation of the Association's ethics education and advisory program. The objectives of the ethics education program are:
- To increase the number of candidates for all degrees in anthropology receiving training in ethics before graduating;
- To provide ongoing education in ethical issues for all AAA members;
- To provide advice to AAA members facing/raising ethical dilemmas; and
- To provide guidance to the Executive Board about AAA codes and guidelines.
Duration of Committee: Permanent
Term of Office: 3-year term
Committee Reports to: The Executive Board
- To work with the Executive Board Long-Range Planning Committee and others, formulate visions and goals for the AAA ethics education and advisory program, consistent with the association's long-range goals
- To continually assess members' ethics education needs and interests
- To provide advice to AAA members who are facing/raising ethical dilemmas
- To assess progress toward attaining ethics education program vision and goals
- To develop policy recommendations for the ethics education program
- Work with the Ethics contributing editor of Anthropology News to develop ideas for the Ethics column and materials for the AAA Ethics Page on the website
- To sponsor an ethics-related session at the AAA Annual Meeting
- To provide guidance to the Executive Board about AAA codes and guidelines
Membership and Appointment:
- 9 member committee including the Chair
- 7 Committee members are elected at-large with designated seats for:
- Practicing/Applied anthropology
- Linguistic anthropology
- Biological anthropology
- 3 undesignated seats
- 2 members are appointed by the AAA President
- The Committee members select a Chair from among its members.
- President and President-elect/Vice President serve ex-officio
Product: Recommendations and written reports to the Executive Board
Meetings and Schedule: The COE meets annually at the AAA annual meeting and by email and conference calls if needed.
Contact Information: 2300 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, 703/528-1902 ext. 1184, fax 703/528-3546.