What is a listserv?
An automatic mailing list server. When e-mail is addressed to a LISTSERV mailing list it is automatically broadcast to everyone on the list. The result is similar to a newsgroup or forum, except that the messages are transmitted as e-mail and are therefore available only to individuals on the list.
How do I sign up for the list?
Follow the links below or in the right hand column to sign up.
I'm on the listserv, how do I manage my account?
Listservs hosted by AAA are powered by GNU Mailman on the Capalon/Binhost.com platform and their account management links are below. You can set digest mode, change addresses and other settings on this website.
What is "digest mode?"
Members of the listserv who do not want each individual message sent to the list may choose a "digest" option which will send them a daily compilation of all messages sent in a 24-hour period.
What is a "moderated list?"
If you are on a moderated list and send a message, it will first be reviewed by the list moderator before being forwarded to the list, so it's "on hold" until the moderator releases it. This may be the case for large listservs in order to cut down on traffic or prevent misuse.
I sent a message and no one received it.
- Did you send the message from the email address that is on the list? If you use another email account to send it, it will not go through.
- Did you send a message with a large attachment? Attachments over 40 kb will not go through.
- Did you "cc" others on the message? If you add addresses under "to", "cc" or "bcc" on your mail to the list the message will not go through.
E-Group Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to us via the Contact Us link.
- Don't attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Let others have their say.
- All posts on our digital publications should be guided by the AAA’s Code of Ethics directive to Maintain Respectful and Ethical Professional Relationships
- Don't post commercial messages or advertisements for products or services.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
- All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
The American Anthropological Association (AAA) is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the AAA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the AAA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the AAA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The AAA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the AAA we will take all appropriate action.
The AAA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.