Visa Preparation and International Attendee Information - Attend Events
Skip to content
Login Communities Publications About AAA Contact Join Donate Shop FAQs
Melissa Harris Perry at AAA 2016
Melissa Harris Perry at AAA 2016

In This Section

Visa Preparation and International Attendee Information

From Our Sponsors

In This Section

Why I am AAA

View more videos

Visa Preparation 

*To request a formal letter of invitation for your visa application, please fill out the Visa Request Form*


Special Advisory for the 2019 AAA/CASCA Annual Meeting in Vancouver, BC

Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.
If you travel with a valid U.S. passport, your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond your planned date of departure from Canada.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship (a valid US passport). If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) may require you to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents.

For travelers who are not US citizens or travelers without a valid Canadian visa, please visit the CBSA website for instructions on how to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization to fly to Canada.

Under a new information collection procedure approved by the U.S. State Department, both visitors and would-be immigrants may be asked for extensive background information, including biographical data for the previous 15 years and social media handles going back as far as five years.

In light of the increased vetting of some visa applicants by U.S. embassies around the world, the AAA is urging all non-U.S. citizens traveling to our Annual Meeting in San Jose, CA, this November to inquire about Visa requirements in relation to their home countries. The following are important links to information on Visa resources and processes:


Visa Waiver Program Regulations

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa when they meet all the requirements. Travelers must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel. If you prefer to have a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a visitor (B) visa. 

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

The Department of Homeland Security has established the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), an automated system to determine eligibility to travel under the Visa Waiver Program. All persons traveling under the VWP must apply for an ESTA. Approved ESTA applications are good for a period of two years.


Effective April 1, 2016, travelers using the VWP must have an e-passport. These passports have a machine-readable zone on the biographic page and a digital chip containing biometric information about the passport owner.

B-1 Visa

If you have traveled to one of the countries listed below since March 1, 2011, you will need a B-1 visa ($160) to travel to the U.S. (i.e. the VWP no longer applies to you).

Additional Visa and Passport information: 


AAA will continue to monitor the status of the proposed supplemental questionnaire and keep you informed of any new developments. In the meantime, we urge members to apply for a Visa well in advance of the Annual Meeting and as soon as possible. 

If you have questions, you may email the AAA Director, Meetings and Conferences, Nate Wambold, CMP at

You Might Also Like