This committee reviews Association administrative issues, academic and external relations, governance issues, membership benefits, Section and Interest Group relations, and financial resources.
Duration of Committee
Committee Reports to
The Executive Board
- Review new Section and Interest Group applications with the Section Assembly Executive Committee and with them, monitor continuing eligibility and membership numbers
- Review 5-year reports from all standing committees.
- Draft revisions to committee charges when warranted for Executive Board approval
- Conduct five-year review and re-authorization of all committees, with the exception of the AOC itself, which is reviewed by the ACC and approved by the Executive Board.
- Respond to concerns about the structure of the AAA, especially the liaison between sections, committees, Interest Groups, and the AAA administration and memberships
- Review AAA member dues and benefits
- Review projects and initiatives of the AAA and in conjunction with the Finance Committee, the financial resources necessary to carry them out
- Review external relations of the Association to ensure that AAA’s external partnerships represent the best interests of the organization and the discipline
- Review and make recommendation regarding annual meeting logistics
- In conjunction with the ACC, review the annual reports of the Annual Meeting Executive Program Committee, discuss their recommendations for change and forward them to the Executive Board; receive and review reports from Annual Meeting participant questionnaires; discuss, support, and/or initiate moves to improve members' experiences of the meetings. (The joint receipt of the EPC report by AOC and ACC will be reviewed in 2017.)
Membership and Appointment
Normally one-half the number of EB members. All members including the Chair, appointed by the AAA president from within the Executive Board. The AOC will include the Secretary and at least one of the SA representatives to the Executive Board.
President and President-Elect/Vice President sit as Ex-Officio
Term of Office
As assigned by the AAA President
Written reports, as needed, to the Executive Board. These reports should include recommendations for actions by the full EB.
Meetings and Schedule
Two meetings per year, one at Association’s Annual Meeting, one at the spring Executive Board Meeting. Conference calls to be scheduled as needed.
Elaine Lynch, Deputy Executive Director, American Anthropological Association, 2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, (o) 703/528-1902, (f) 703/528-3546, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, (o) 703/528-1902, (f) 703/528-3546.
December 2, 2017
Last reviewed by AAA Executive Board:
September 26, 2016
Adopted by Executive Board:
August 12, 2013