This committee organizes and reviews the nominations for specific AAA awards and selects a recommended winner for each.
Duration of Committee
Committee Reports to
AAA Executive Board
- To organize and review information regarding the nominations and recommend winners for the following AAA awards:
- The Franz Boas Award for Exemplary Service to Anthropology;
- The Anthropology in Media Award;
- The Robert B. Textor and Family Prize for Excellence in Anticipatory Anthropology; and
- The AAA/Oxford Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Coordinates with the SfAA for the Margaret Mead Award to ensure that winner is selected in a timely way.
- Approve panel recommendations for the Arensberg, Minority Dissertation Fellowship, Gender Equity, and AAA Engaged Anthropology Awards.
- Works with AAA liaison in notifying nominators of their requirement to write encomia for their nominee. Encomia will be used for print publications (AN/Program) and used for awards ceremony.
- Review any new proposals for new AAA association level and Section level awards.
- Works with the AAA liaison to provide materials and information to the Solon T. Kimball Award for Public and Applied Anthropology, the Alfred Vincent Kidder Award for Eminence in the field of American Archaeology and the David M. Schneider Award panels to assist in the selection of winners for each of these awards.
- Committee members are encouraged to attend the Awards Ceremony at the AAA Annual Meetings where they will be recognized by the AAA President.
Membership and Appointment
- Five-member committee including the chair
- Committee members are appointed by the president with one seat designated for a student
- This committee is chaired by an appointed member of the Executive Board
- The appointment of the new chair is made the year prior to the departure of the sitting chair. This is an ex-officio non-voting role.
Term of Office
A written report to the Executive Board.
Meetings and Schedule
Committee meets in the spring.
2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, Phone: (703) 528-1902, Fax: (703) 528-3546