Accommodations Protocol at Raising Our Voices 2020
AAA strives to foster accessible virtual spaces. The Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator can help identify if current AAA accessibility protocols will meaningfully support your access needs or if additional accommodations are necessary. Examples of accommodation requests include ASL interpreters, reader and/or note takers, etc.
At any point that you recognize you need to request accommodations for Raising Our Voices, please follow the below process to do so. Everyone who is interested in participating during Raising Our Voices is welcome to seek accommodations at any time in preparation for the meeting.
You are not required to disclose your disability (mobility, auditory, sight, sensory, etc.) or identity status (Disabled, Deaf, Autistic, Chronically Ill, Mentally Ill, Aging, etc.), but are welcome to do so if you believe this information will influence the later discussion surrounding your access needs and/or accommodation requests.
Note: While requests are welcome at any time, please also recognize that requests will most effectively be supported if they are submitted as soon as possible, and where possible, before October 16, 2020.
|How to Request Accommodations
Please submit your accommodation requests prior to October 16, 2020, so that AAA can provide the best services possible to meet your access needs.
- Identify the way you will request accommodations for Raising Our Voices.
- When submitting as a possible participant during the Raising Our Voices submission process.
- At time of Registration for Raising Our Voices.
- Check the box that reads "I require accessibility accommodations."
- Use the text field below the check box to indicate any access needs you have.
- Via the Google Form. The Google Form is available at all times and can be after registration if accommodations and access needs were not necessary while registering for the meeting.
- Complete the form.
- Via Email to the email@example.com email
- Provide the information you believe is most important to receiving the best support possible.
- The AAA Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator will follow up with you, whether you requested accommodations via the event registration form, the Google Form, or email. In this follow up, they will discuss your needs and identify the best plan moving forward to provide your accommodations. This follow up will occur once the online program is available, but you are welcome to email the Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator earlier to discuss your needs sooner!
- Some accommodations may require that the Coordinator requests your desired schedule at Raising Our Voices to provide the appropriate accommodations. Time changes during the event are accommodated as resources permit, but cannot be guaranteed.
- The AAA Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator will connect with you using your chosen form of communication as requested to review your accommodations with you and ensure you have access to the supports you need.
- If during the event you have any questions, comments, or concerns related to any accessibility practices or your accommodations, please feel free to call or text the Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator at (703) 239-4499 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request your accommodations and share your access needs by October 16, 2020, to receive the most effective supports possible.
Accommodations Available Upon Request
Below are a few examples of what accommodations will be available upon request. Feel free to request accommodations outside of the options listed below as well.
- ASL interpreter
- ASL interpreting is provided during a number of primary live-streamed events.
- Attendees can request sign language interpreters for Raising Our Voices events not currently planned to provide interpretation. Please submit your request using the Access Needs & Accommodations Request Google Form by October 16, 2020.
- AAA is working with the Kyle Duarte Company to provide ASL interpreting services. The Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator will connect you with the interpreting agency to discuss your needs.
- You will be asked to share which events you may be interested in so that interpreters can review the all event materials before the fall event series.
- You are not limited to only attending those sessions. However, this gives the interpreters a chance to review the materials in order to properly prepare and provide excellent service.
- Interpreters upon request are available for AAA live-streamed and view-on-demand events as well AAA social events. AAA sections are responsible for providing interpreters during Special Events, including their own social events. Interpreting for events outside of this scope must be arranged with the Kyle Duarte Company separately at the individual's cost.
- During the virtual fall event series, requests for interpreters can be made by emailing email@example.com; however, AAA cannot guarantee a sign language interpreter will be available to accommodate a request without advance notice.
- CART captioner
- CART captioning is provided for all live-streamed events, and captions and/or transcripts will be available for all view-on-demand events.
- Event "Hallways" will be held in Google Meet, which offers AI captioning.
- AAA sections are responsible for planning for captioning for their Special Events.
- Captioning will also be provided during AAA social events.
- Interpreting for events outside of this scope must be arranged with the Kyle Duarte Company separately at the individual's cost.
- AAA is working with the Kyle Duarte Company to provide CART captioning services for all live-streamed events.
- Signed English
Alternative Document Formats
Event descriptions will be viewable using the Online Program. The final Raising Our Voices program is available in alternative formats to registrants who make such an advance request. Be sure complete the Access Needs & Accommodations Request Google Form or to connect with the Accessibility & Meetings Coordinator by October 16, 2020 if you require the final program in a different format.
- Accessible PDF
- Accessible Word document
- Large print